The historic village of Rhinebeck, New York became a European settlement in 1686, when a group of Dutch crossed the river from Kingston and bought 2,200 acres of land from the local Iroquois nation. Later, Henry Beekman obtained a patent for the land and saw a need for the development of the village to begin. He brought into the area Casper Landsman, a miller, and William Traphagen, a builder. In 1703, the New York colonial assembly approved money for the construction of the King’s Highway, later known as the Albany Post Road and today most of Route 9. Three years later Traphagen bought a tract of land in Beekman’s patent where the King’s Highway intersected the Sepasco Indian Trail, the route today followed by Market Street. He built a house and tavern on the trail a short distance west of the King’s Highway. This was the beginning of the beautiful village of Rhinebeck.